Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 2 (full day) Shaw's and Puffin Cruise...

So, on our second full day in Maine, "The Way Life Should Be," Christine and I decided to take Harrison to the ER since his fever had lasted over 72 hours. We went to the hospital in Augusta and it was the smallest, least crowded ER I have ever seen (except for on TV) Wasn't there a Michael J. Fox movie called Doc Hollywood? It sort of reminded me of that, only it was not set up in an old house!) It was quaint! The downside was that even though we were taken right back, we ended up waiting for quite a while for the entire staff to enjoy a leisurely lunch (at least that's my best guess!) When the PA finally came in, he was rushed and rude-taking offense to any questions we had. But, we got a prescription and were on our way back to meet up with the guys and girls.
We all set off on a short road trip to the coast for some lobstah and a puffin cruise. Below is our food at Shaw's (featured in the movie, "Message in a Bottle" with Kevin Costner) We had originally planned to eat on the deck, but we didn't account for the STRONG seafood odor or the heat wave (85 degrees!), so we opted for inside. I was really excited to finally try some honest to goodness Maine Lobstah! It was so thoughtful of our hosts to treat us too! (Thanks again guys!) The lobstah meat was good, but the actual process of getting it out was pretty messy and thank goodness for Ted's mini-lesson! One step thoroughly grossed out Paige and I! The onion rings were good too!

Noah looks like an old pro

Harry hamming it up for the camera. I don't even think he tried a bite. This lobstah was simply a prop he used in order to gain more camera time! (Disclaimer: No lobstahs were harmed in the filming of these photos. OK, they were, but they were delicious!)
"Now I have to put my finger where!?"

So sweet.


"Ahoy, puffin ahead!" (OK, not really... we were still docked at this point, but it sounded good)

Gracie and Sophie

On the way out to the island where the puffins hang out... It was pretty chilly as the sun was starting to go down. I'm not feeling too bad at this point, but poor Christine. What a trooper to still take a few snapshots feeling as bad as she was)


Harrison and a borrowed hat


Once we returned to the dock and Christine and I felt normal again, Sophie started saying something was "Stinky" we turned to find her plugging, and I do mean plugging her nose. What character this girl is! I love it!



Below are the tourist trap every "local" hates, but Christine and the gang were so patient and even joined in to humor us out-of-towners!

Lobstah Sophie
"Please, don't eat me!"
Noah the clam


Lobstah Gracie

Harrison is happy as a clam!

I don't know what look Harry is going for here...
see below for the second half of our day!

5 comments:

Sophie's Mom said...

It sure was stinky on the dock! So funny it only seemed to bother Sophia. If she put her lil fingers any further up she would have been poking at brain matter! ;)

I've got to get posting now, eh?

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are awesome!!!! and the trip sounds wonderful except for the Doctors visit.

Now I have lobster on my mind!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the ER!!

The rest of the trip looks pretty yummy!

missy said...

Yummy seafood!!! It looks like you guys had such a great time. We are going to Maine next summer and I am SO excited : )

Ashton said...

The pix are great! I love the one with their heads in the lobsters!